Southaven Slip and Fall Injury Attorney
The CDC says more than one million Americans will suffer a slip and fall injury, with more than 17,000 of those people dying due to the extent of their injuries. Further statistics regarding slip and fall injuries include:
- As many as 15 percent of work-related injuries are due to a slip and fall.
- There are two basic categories to slip and fall injuries. Slip and falls which occur on the same level are more common, therefore are responsible for more injuries. Slip and falls from an elevated level, however, are more serious, and are more likely to result in severe injury or death.
- The height in these elevated slip and falls is not necessarily as high as you might think. In about 60 percent of elevated falls, the height is less than ten feet.
- The CDC also estimates that about 30 percent of those who suffer a slip and fall will sustain moderate to severe injuries, some of which can be serious enough to hamper independent living.
- The most common injuries resulting from slip and fall accidents are fractures of the hand, pelvis, upper arm, ankle, leg, hip, forearm and spine.
- Nearly 2,000 older Americans die every year from falls in nursing homes, with nursing home residents accounting for one-fifth of all deaths from falls in those 65 or older.
Who is Responsible for Your Southaven, MS Slip and Fall?
Under the doctrine of premises liability, public establishments are responsible for ensuring their property is safe from defects or dangerous conditions which could lead to injury. This obligation, known as a duty of care, means owners and/or managers must do everything possible to create a hazard-free environment.
In order to be deemed negligent, however, employees or management must have had a reasonable amount of time to discover the hazard; if they did not have time to see a wet floor or an object in a walkway and place a caution sign, they may not be deemed responsible for any resulting accidents. If, on the other hand, there is a spilled item in a grocery store which several employees have passed by and done nothing to correct, the grocery store may be liable for resulting injuries.
Factors Involved in a Slip and Fall Injury
Of the many factors responsible for a slip and fall accident in a public place, the following are by far the most common:
- Items left haphazardly in walk paths
- Items which have fallen from higher shelves and are now obstacles in the walkway
- Snow, ice, or rain-covered entrances with no warning or hazard signs
- Merchandise in a store which has been stacked dangerously, or in a stack which is much too high and could easily fall, causing a trip hazard
- Liquids spilled in walk paths which should have either been marked with a hazard or caution sign, or should have been cleaned up
- Freshly mopped floors without caution signs
- Changes in floor heights or other hazards which exist in poorly-lit areas and have no caution signs
- Staircases which are extremely narrow and/or poorly lit
- Any uneven surface which is not clearly marked
The Primary Places Slip and Fall Injuries Occur
Obviously you can fall virtually anywhere. There are, however, some public areas which tend to have more slip and fall accidents than others, such as:
- Taverns and bars
- Swimming pools with slippery, wet areas
- Areas where construction is taking place and there are no signs signaling the construction
- Moving or stationary stairs, sidewalks and escalators
- Any areas which have surfaces of uneven heights and no caution signs
- Grocery stores
- Restrooms in public areas
No matter where you experienced your slip and fall with resulting injuries, the owner may be liable if there was negligence involved. Any time you walk in a public place, you have a right to be advised of hazards which may be present. Particularly in grocery stores, a shopping cart may prevent a person from seeing an upcoming spill or other hazard, making it all that much more necessary that the owner be vigilant and responsible.
Typical Injuries from a Southaven, MS Slip and Fall
While you could suffer any number of injuries from your slip and fall, some of the most common injuries include:
- Neck and back injuries
- Sprained, torn and bruised muscles or ligaments
- Fractured bones, most commonly hand, wrist and forearms
- Concussions and scalp lacerations
Help for Your Southaven, MS Slip and Fall from The Stroud Law Firm
Slip and fall cases can be extremely complex, and can come with a number of pitfalls the average person may not recognize. The attorneys from The Stroud Law Firm will investigate your Southaven, MS slip and fall accident thoroughly, then will build a solid case on your behalf so you can receive equitable compensation for your injuries. We will aggressively pursue a settlement so you can pay your medical expenses, and be compensated for lost wages, pain and suffering, and any other damages you may have from your Southaven, MS slip and fall. Don’t try to handle an insurance company on your own while you are trying to heal from your slip and fall injuries. Call The Stroud Law Firm today at (662) 536-5656.