Hopefully you will never have to file an insurance claim, yet in reality, the average adult will have an auto accident nearly once every eighteen years. If you own your own home, you are likely to file an insurance claim for damages to your property, dog bites or slip and falls on your property, about once every ten years. Water damage and fire damage are the most common types of homeowner claims for actual home damage. Insurance companies are well aware of the number of claims filed by the average homeowner, therefore seeks customers who will file fewer than the average number of claims.
Insurance companies are in the business to make money, and, despite the warm and friendly insurance commercials you likely see on a regular basis, most insurance companies operate under the “deny, delay, demand” mantra. Any behavior an insurer sees in an auto owner or homeowner which would make them more likely to file a claim could result in denial of insurance or higher insurance premiums. Some facts about Zurich Insurance include the following:
- Zurich Financial Services is one of the largest Europe-based insurance firms.
- Zurich has strong positions in the property and casualty insurance markets of Switzerland, the United Kingdom and the United States.
- Farmers Group is a Zurich Insurance brand.
- Zurich’s growth began with the introduction of accident insurance in the early 1880’s.
- Zurich received authorization to trade in the state of New York in 1912.
- In 1925, Zurich made an agreement with Ford whereby preferential insurance terms were offered to buyers of Ford cars.
- In 1989, Zurich acquired the Maryland Casualty Group which doubled the company’s premium incomes in the United States.
- By 1990, Zurich was doing business worldwide in 80 countries.
- In 1998 Zurich merged with British American Financial Services, and began operating under the name Zurich Financial Services.
- The addition of BAFS increased the gross premiums of Zurich from $23.7 billion to $40 billion, making Zurich the fifth-largest insurance group in the world.
- One of the BAFS holdings was the Los-Angeles-based Farmer’s Group, Inc., one of the largest property-casualty insurance firms in the U.S.
- In 2012, Zurich stated revenues of 70.41 billion.
Zurich’s Better Business Bureau Rating
Zurich received an A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau, however the company is not BBB accredited. Businesses are not obligated to seek BBB accreditation, and many businesses are not accredited because they did not seek the accreditation. Zurich’s BBB rating is based on such factors as: the length of time the business has been operating, the number of complaints filed with BBB for a business of this size, the response to 63 complaints filed against Zurich and the resolution of those complaints.
What to Do If You Have Been Involved in an Auto Accident
If you have been involved in an auto accident, you may find your insurance company and/or the other person’s insurance company much less easy to deal with than you had hoped. As noted, insurance companies are in the business to make money, and may have little sympathy with your injuries or the damage to your vehicle. There are things you can do to make the process go a bit easier. First and foremost, when you have an auto accident, always make sure you, and anyone else involved in the accident receives prompt medical treatment.
Far too often, people don’t think they are hurt that badly, and refuse medical attention. Then later, when they realize they actually were hurt, the insurance company may dispute the injuries, claiming if it had really been that bad, the person would have sought immediate medical attention. So—even if you don’t think your injuries are that serious, have your own doctor check you out, or go to the emergency room.
Beyond seeking medical attention, there are a few more tips to remember:
- Always call the police so there will be a report about the accident.
- Never give a recorded statement to an insurance company until you have spoken to your attorney.
- Never post anything on social media about your accident. Facebook, Twitter, e-mail and texts can all be used in court against you.
- Never accept a quick settlement from the insurance company, no matter how tempting. If, later on, you discover your injuries are much more serious, you could be stuck paying those bills.
- Take photographs at the scene of the accident if possible.
- Never admit fault, even down to saying “I’m sorry,” to the other parties involved in the accident.
- As soon as you are able, write down everything you can remember about the accident, then keep meticulous records of your medical treatment, even prescription drug costs and trips to the doctor (especially if you had to take off work).
Filing a Claim with Zurich
If you must report a claim with Zurich General Insurance you can call (800) 987-3373, or go to https://webclaims.zurichna.com/#/automobile to file online.
Getting Legal Help from The Stroud Law Firm
If you have suffered an auto accident or other type of personal injury in the areas of Southaven, Horn Lake, Hernando, Walls, Tunica, Olive Branch, Desoto County, Memphis TN or Shelby County TN, contact the Stroud Law Firm as soon as possible at (662) 536-5656. We will be your advocate and will do our best to ensure you receive equitable compensation for your injuries.