Being a victim of medical malpractice comes with a lot of decisions in addition to the suffering you may already be experiencing due to the negligence of a healthcare provider. Enough harm has already been done, so choosing the right medical malpractice lawyer is important to prevent further hardship.
When you realize you need a medical malpractice lawyer, finding the best one for your claim can be difficult—and risky.
An article from LawFuel lists questions you should ask a medical malpractice lawyer to ensure you get the best service:
- Always ask your potential lawyer about their qualifications, previous experience, and success in handling past medical malpractice cases. Just because a lawyer won a big jury verdict in the past doesn’t guarantee success for your case, but a record of successfully solving medical malpractice claims is a big indicator that the lawyer has the experience and knowledge you need for your claim.
- Never hesitate to ask questions regarding money matters. Inquire about what expenses you may be responsible to pay of reimburse the lawyer if the claim doesn’t go forward or is unsuccessful. Make sure to ask about the financial resources available in the even you medical malpractice claim has to be tried. Also, ask if the lawyer will assist you if an appeal is necessary, who is responsible for the expenses of an appeal, and who will be responsible for the cost if the case has to be tried a second time after an appeal.
- Ask the attorney to what extent they will handle your medical malpractice claim personally, and whether support staff may handle routine matters of the claim, or even the medical malpractice trial itself. Every attorney and each firm handles cases differently—make sure you know how your lawyer will be working on the case.
- Don’t be afraid to ask whether your medical malpractice attorney has the time to devote to your claim. If the lawyer is busy with too many other cases, or a very big case, he or she might not be able to devote the time necessary to handle the bulk of your medical malpractice claim.
- Obtain as much knowledge as you can about your potential medical malpractice lawyer before hiring, Carefully study the firm’s website for information about the lawyer, law firm, the services they provide, as well as the lawyer’s education, experience, and knowledge of medical malpractice claims.
Doing what you can to ensure the qualifications and experience of your medical malpractice lawyer can save you time, money, and additional stress. No question is a bad one.